Here are the 10 top ways that job applicants can undermine their own resumes:
- Forget to put contact information on the resume and cover letter or email.
- “Borrow” someone else’s wording for the resume or use generic text from a book on resumes.
- Misspell company names.
- Leave off all dates.
- Emphasize the same four or five skills over and over, and don’t bother with accomplishments.
- Send the resume out with a poorly written or no cover letter or email.
- Ignore information in the job posting or ad about how to submit the resume.
- Forget to bring a copy of the resume to the interview.
- Say something during the interview that contradicts the resume.
A great resume will land you interviews; but you can undermine the power of any resume if you make one of these mistakes. Contact Robin’s Resumes® for a great resume and the great advice that helps ensure its success.