In these blogs, I have often mentioned “hiring managers and recruiters.” Hiring managers are the individuals in a company who review job applicants. They may work in a company’s Human Resources department or may be the manager you would report to if hired. Hiring managers often work with recruiters to find quality job applicants. Recently I took a look at the capabilities and qualities that companies value most in hiring managers. This information about hiring managers will reveal some important information about your job search.
Most companies expect a great hiring manager to:
- Ask lots of questions in-house about the ideal candidate, the demands of the job and the company’s needs. The result should be an accurate, detailed job description and job posting.
- Move quickly from recognizing that an employee is needed to starting the actual employee search.
- Be familiar with online technology and its use in finding candidates.
- Weed out inappropriate candidates and present the best candidates for the position.
- Make sure that the chosen candidates have the information they need to make a decision about whether they want the job if it is offered.
Since the job postings by hiring managers list what the job and company need most, you must be sure to mention your skills, education and achievements that meet those needs. Companies move quickly and you should, too. Make sure your resume is ready to go when you find that ideal job posting but do not hang around waiting for an offer; keep looking. The more you feel in control of your job search, the better you will come across in an interview.Since hiring managers are looking online, you need to have an online presence. When you meet with a hiring manager, you should feel free to ask questions about the job so that you can correctly determine your own fit and interest. But you should research the company first so that you ask intelligent questions.
But most important, because hiring managers are weeding out inappropriate candidates, you must make sure that your resume shows how very suited you are to the job and the company. Robin’s Resumes® is here to help.