“Soft skills” are people skills—they are always in high demand at every level of an organization. You may demonstrate your soft skills at every stage of your job search, from the first time you revise or write your resume to the final interview. What soft skills are companies looking for?
- Communication. One way to show that you are a good communicator is to make sure that your resume looks and sounds professional, without spelling and grammatical mistakes. Another way to demonstrate communication skills is through examples of achievements that involved talking across departments, helping customers, or leading a team. Finally, a good communicator will be able to talk comfortably with hiring managers and recruiters. If you feel week in any of these areas, it may be time to hire a professional resume writer, join Toastmasters, or take volunteer positions that will help you hone your communication skills.
- Flexibility. The achievements on your resume should show that you accept new ideas, new managers, and new approaches to work. Your ability to survive a merger, take on a new role, or implement a change in process or technology are all examples of your flexibility.
- Problem-solving. Almost every company or nonprofit runs into a road block at some time, whether it is lack of resources, high turnover, lack of training, or some other problem. Your achievements should include examples when you were aware of problems and helped solve or surmount them.
- Organization. This soft skill is apparent in the way your resume is organized. It is also apparent in the way you organize your job search: Did you research the companies where you are applying? Have you kept accurate records of where you sent your resume? When recruiters and hiring managers interview you, are you ready with relevant questions and information?
- Delegation. Your achievements should demonstrate your ability to delegate to increase efficiency and productivity.
Your decision to use a professional resume writer like Robin’s Resumes® shows your ability to recognize great communication, take a flexible approach to your job search, solve problems in your resume, organize your job search, and delegate. We will make sure the achievements on your resume reflect your strong soft skills. Contact us today.