As a Certified Job and Career Transition Coach and a certified 5 Steps to Rapid Employment coach, I understand the many different strategies that go into a successful job search and how your resume fits into each one.
Job Search Strategy One: Pleasing Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). If you are first applying for a job, whether online or through the mail, you must make sure your resume is ATS-friendly. Remove all tables, text boxes, and other design elements—they merely confuse the ATS. Today, over 97% of Fortune 500 companies use ATS (the other 3% are holding companies that do not hire employees). Even if applying to a very small company, it is probable your resume will be sent to an ATS.
Job Search Strategy Two: Engaging Family and Friends. When you speak to family and friends about your job search, ask them if they would be willing to read your resume so that they know exactly the type of position you are looking for. They may also provide unsolicited advice about the content and format of your resume; always thank them, but decide for yourself if the advice is valid.
Job Search Strategy Three: Networking. The best networking starts with a genuine interest in the other person, not with your plea for help in finding a job. If the other person eventually expresses an interest in your resume, ask for the best way to send it. Some people will not open email attachments.
Job Search Strategy Four: Posting a Profile Online. Your profile on LinkedIn or similar professional sites should support and line up with your resume, even if they are not exact duplicates. Make sure your online photo is professional.
Job Search Strategy Five: Interviewing. Take a paper version of your resume with you to interviews. That version can contain design elements like graphs and tables. Make sure the version of the resume that you take with you and the version you sent to the company do not conflict on facts or content, even if the format is different. You also may consider having a long version for ATS and a shorter networking/interview version.
Do you need a certified coach and resume writer to help develop your job search strategy and creating the right resume? Contact Robin’s Resumes® today.