Changing jobs can bring you several advantages if you do it right. The right way includes:
- Keeping your current job while you search
- Knowing what employers are looking for by researching job opportunities and companies
- Updating your resume to cover your most recent accomplishments and to match the keywords in job postings and advertisements
- Networking in person and online as well as responding to postings and advertisements.
In addition, you want to avoid changing jobs too frequently, although the definition of “frequent” might change with the industry. For example, a 2018 study by the Bureau of Labor Statistics found that, on average, men and women both tend to stay at a job for just over 4 years, with older employees staying longer than younger employees.
What are the advantages of changing jobs?
- More income: A report by ADP revealed that job switchers’ wages increased 5.8% in June versus 3.1% for jobholders.
- More knowledge and skills: New bosses and a new environment present you with new challenges and opportunities. Changing jobs, especially early in your career, allows you to broaden your experience and become more attractive to your next employer—plus, you avoid boredom.
- Advancement: Unfortunately, many companies fail to recognize their talent or provide opportunities for talent to advance. Changing jobs may be your best path if you want more responsibility, training, or other professional growth.
- Fit: If you are uncomfortable at your current job, courting burnout or boredom, or struggle with the company culture, you have an incentive to change jobs and find a company where you can be as comfortable, challenged, and happy as you deserve.
In the next few blog posts, we will explore why you may be afraid to change jobs and give practical advice on overcoming those fears, finding an appreciative company, and motivating yourself for a job search. Robin’s Resumes® has helped individuals at every level of success, from recent college graduates to CEO, as they embark on the process of changing jobs. Let us help you.