During your job search, you will need, not only a stellar resume but three important emails or letters.
The first is the cover letter or email that accompanies your resume when you send it out to recruiters and hiring managers. This letter must:
- Clearly show your contact information—and that information should exactly match what is on your resume.
- Identify the position you are applying for in the subject line (for an email) or in a separate Re: line on your letter.
- Be only a few paragraphs long, focusing on major accomplishments and keywords of interest to that particular company—it is an intro to your resume, not a retelling.
- Be professional in every respect; this is not the time for email emojis.
The second important email or letter is one that confirms appointments, such as on-site or phone interviews. You may receive an electronic confirmation form from the company concerning an appointment; make sure you reply to this form as requested. Otherwise, send a short (one or two sentence) email that confirms the date, time, and place of your appointment.
The third letter or email is the thank you, which should be sent to the hiring manager after an interview. This thank you should be addressed to the specific interviewer you saw and should obey all the rules for the cover letter. In addition:
- Instead of reiterating your accomplishments, focus on the information you took from the interview. For example, “I understand that you are looking for a sales professional who will be able to help you penetrate the following consumer markets….”
- Cover positive information about you that you discussed during the interview.
- Clarify points where you may have been weak in the interview to overcome them.
- Express your interest in pursuing the opportunity.
- Thank the hiring manager (and any other interviewers) for their time. Consider sending a separate letter to each interviewer
At Robin’s Resumes®, we can help you formulate letters and emails as well as a resume that helps you to stand out from the crowd of applicants. Contact us today.